If you’re lucky enough to be attending a wedding over the next little while, here’s a few quick pointers for gift ideas, as well as some lovely inspiration for creative gift wrapping.
Via DinoCreator on Etsy
First up, how to choose a wedding gift:
Basically, for weddings there are 4 types of gifts to choose from…
This is generally the most recommended gift for a wedding these days, and because it’s something nearly all newly-wed couples are short of, you know it will be appreciated.
To make giving cash more personal you could attach your envelope to a smaller, personally chosen gift item. Or to make it seem more special you could wrap your envelope creatively.
2. REGISTRY GIFT
If the couple has a gift registry then it could be a good idea to stick to a gift item from there. Although it can seem a bit impersonal, you will at least be giving them something you know they will like.
If all the items on the register are too expensive for your budget, it can be a good idea to either give a gift card from the registry store in an amount that you can afford, or chip in with other guests to purchase one of the couple’s dream items together.
3. TIMELESS GIFTS
When there is no gift registry and you don’t want to give cash, the next best thing could be a timeless wedding gift such as:
- Silver candlesticks
- Best quality bed-linen (good for posting so a good choice if you are unable to attend)
- French Champagne
- Quality cutlery
- Cast-iron French cookware (not so good for posting!)
These gifts are great for couples that have been living together already and don’t require any of the traditional “setting up a home” type gifts.
Eclectic Silver Plated Candlesticks from Pottery Barn
4. SENTIMENTAL FAMILY GIFTS
Sometimes the best-loved wedding gifts can come from thoughtful, sentimental ideas such as a book filled with the family recipes, or a photo album of candid, non-staged wedding shots. An anniversary journal is another romantic, sentimental idea for the couple.
But now you’ve chosen the gift, how are you going to wrap it?
Once you’ve settled on a gift for the wedding – why not go that little step further and make the gift something really special through lovely gift wrapping. It makes your gift stand out and gives the bride (and groom) that lovely sense of fun and anticipation that comes from unwrapping a beautiful or unique present.
A few quick tips:
- It’s always classic to use white or silver wrapping paper or ribbon
- If you’re going to be putting your gift on a table or prominent position at the wedding it’s a nice idea to go with the theme of the wedding – take your cue from the look of the invitation. For example these types of gift wraps would look great for a casual, outdoors, vintage-y wedding…
Via Original Home
- ALWAYS attach your gift tag or card securely to the gift – it’s very stressful for newly-weds or their family trying to remember who gave what, or match loose cards to random gifts. It also makes it a nightmare to thank people properly if you’re not quite sure what they gave you!
- If you’re planning on giving an envelope containing money or gift cards etc, transform it into a gift by using a generous length of double satin ivory or white ribbon, or other trimmings to embellish the outside.
- Going simple, especially for a summer, garden or beach wedding can be fun and classy – maybe a little bit of lace on plain white or brown paper – or even some newspaper with tulle…
- And if you’re a little bit crafty you can make a wonderful impression with embellishments
Via Pretty Petals
And finally, don’t forget your wedding wishes!
We have compiled a small list of messages suitable for wedding gift cards or tags on our website. You can check these out here.